Thursday, February 9, 2012

One Less Reason To Frequent The Local Comic Shop

In J. Caleb Mozzocco's overview of three recent kids' comics, he stunned me with this bit of info:
Sadly, this [#16] is the very last issue of Batman: The Brave and The Bold, leaving the new comics racks without a Batman comic book a kid can read without fear of seeing, say, The Joker’s flayed-off face nailed to a wall. Surely another one will come along eventually, but it’s a strange hole for DC to leave in its publishing strategy.
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Reluctant to accept this news, I checked the DC site and their listing for The All-New Batman: The Brave and The Bold #16 doesn't say anything about this being the last issue of the series.  But checking back at CBR's old solicits, it does state "FINAL ISSUE" and their are no forthcoming issues listed in any future solicits.

Sigh.  This really bums me out.  Brave and The Bold was a rare comic:  It wasn't just a comic that the whole family enjoyed (I bought them primarily for my son but my daughter would sneak into his room to read them as well; and then I'd sneak into her room to read them afterwards) but it was also a comic that I came to prefer in floppy form.  Or rather, I came to see why my kids preferred them in floppy form.  If it were just up to me, I'd wait and buy the TPB collections online (I got the first collection of The All-New Batman: The Brave and The Bold from Buy.com for $7.90, which works out to about $1.30 an issue, or 55% less than the individual cover price) but I've noticed that my kids prefer reading the single issues over the TPBs.  A big part of it is probably one of the things that most bugs me about the format: the flimsiness of the floppy.  For me, it's fragile and bound to be bent or crumpled.  But for kids, it's easier to manipulate -- lighter to hold and easier to lay flat on the floor to flip through.

We still have Spongebob Comics to look forward to, but that only comes out bi-monthly.  I enjoyed some of the issues of Super Friends we tried out, but it looks like that was cancelled long ago.  Any other suggestions for great all-age comics for superhero fans?

No comments:

Post a Comment